Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Circle of Death

We went riding yesterday. It was windy when we got there and I had my reservations but Duke did not seem to care or notice. Even when a large branch broke and fell less then 100 feet away he just watched it then went back to dozing. Yea for draft blood! We got him set up and ready pretty quickly and headed out to the arena.

I had planned on working on getting his butt back under him as we have been working his shoulders so much lately it felt like his butt was always trailing behind, especially in lateral work. The general idea was to do lots of transitions, as those have been lacking as well, and circles. We lounged and started right away with getting many, prompt transitions. I tried my side reins on him and they seem to fit ok. I was not sure since they are pony size but now I have another tool in the arsenal. He did well in them and it was easy to see he is starting to keep a natural inside bend in both directions! After a few rounds in the side reins I unhooked them and we schooled a gymnastic on the lounge that I had decided to ride that day. I lounged him at a walk and trot both ways through this a few times then went to saddle up.


 

 

( all above pictures are from 101 Jumping Exercises)

At the other end of the arena Andrew stacked six poles, three in two groups, about nine feet apart. Just as I was to get on N showed up. I hopped on and we proceeded to walk , trot, and randomly canter all at different intervals and focusing on promptness and correct ingagement. I did not worry about trying to frame him quite as much but I tried not to let him become a strung out giraffe. We did the circle multiple times in each direction and also picked up just one or two at a time as well to mix things up. N and Andrew also brought in and set up the rope gate to work on some lateral. I had opted to skip on the spurs since it was windy and I had not planned on much to any lateral. We struggled through the gate twice, once in each direction.

Take aways:

  • Squeeze elbows in, especially the left one
  • Lift outside hand to support shoulders (especially at the canter)
  • Bumping is a dressage thing, it is to signal forward
  • I need to use my leg more actively ^^^

I can't remember the other details. All in all Duke was a good boy and we had a good ride. I mentioned that I felt my legs felt weaker then I would like. We decided that riding in a hunt saddle with and with out stirrups would be good. I plan to follow through and work at posting and half seat and eventfully three point with the goal of 15 minutes a ride. I guess this will be my May challenge and see how it goes! The clinic is June 7-8 and I have no idea of which day/s and times I ride. That is also when Duke is being moved for a couple months to C's place.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment